No one knows what caused the Event. Alien visitors? Collision with another dimension? Whatever it was¸ it sundered an area on Earth from the laws of nature. And it left wonders behind. Whether you're on an authorized expedition or breaking quarantine to make some credits¸ be careful out there: Come back not-quite-human¸ and the Lab will insist you visit indefinitely.
Zone is a super-slim¸ self-contained¸ lo-fi sci-fi RPG about exploring an scientifically impossible landscape on Earth. It's inspired by Roadside Picnic and Annihilation¸ and fits on 3 pages and a cover¸ printable on two sides of a letter-sized page. It includes....
- Basic rules for play based on the FREE 24XX SRD and Emergency Rules
- Options for Zone explorer PCs¸ including scientist¸ soldier¸ and scavenger specialties¸ plus local¸ refugee¸ and out-of-towner origins
- 36 "alterations" that characters might pick up in the Zone
- Random artifact-generation tables with 20 veneers¸ 36 properties¸ and 12 shapes
- GMing prompts including 20 contacts¸ 20 encounters in the Zone¸ and a generator for random anomalies based on their appearance¸ location¸ and effects
What is 2400? 2400 is lo-fi sci-fi. It's centuries in the future¸ and it's a decades-old modem that screams like a dying robot when it connects to the net. It's a space ship with an FTL drive¸ artificial gravity¸ and a flickering display you gotta tap a few times to see the jump coordinates. It's hacking something together with whatever cheap materials you have on hand¸ ignoring the rules until you need them¸ banging out something that might not sound finished¸ but definitely sounds fun. It's a series of micro RPGs that might all be in the same setting¸ unless they aren't.