Raiders of R'lyeh: Gamemaster's Guide & Complete Rules
We are nearing completion on FROM THE TIDELESS SEA¸ our first big expansion (at 280 pages and in final layout) for RAIDERS of R'LYEH! More here: http://raidersofrlyeh.com/design-journal-series/#part-thirty-two-updateSEE A PREVIEW HERE: http://raidersofrlyeh.com/img/ror-preview.pdf
RAIDERS of R'LYEH is a stand-alone roleplaying game and sourcebook in which mercenary rogues explore forbidden frontiers¸ unearth ancient artifacts¸ and outwit villainous scum. Derived partly from the Runequest rules that have been released under the Open Game License¸ the game is crafted to emulate not only adventure in the CTHULHU MYTHOS of H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of influences¸ but especially the savage and evocative feel of Robert E. Howard's Mythos and Weird menace stories.
Attention has been made to keep the game mechanics compatible with other percentile systems - while innovating additional rulesets unique to the setting and atmosphere - so those players wishing only to use Raiders of R'lyeh as an Edwardian era adventure sourcebook will have a massive global setting to explore and use in their preexisting Mythos campaign¸ as well as modular adventure¸ monster and scenario resources for gaming in 1900-1913. Those players wanting a standalone rulebook with its adventure modes of play¸ will have a complete toolkit for interacting with the Cthulhu Mythos.
- A complete sourcebook for expeditions¸ intrigues and adventures in the pre-Great War Edwardian period (can be used as a rules-independent sourcebook)
- A wealth of resources about technology¸ inventions¸ architecture¸ weapons¸ gear¸ currencies¸ class structure¸ etiquette¸ vehicles¸ mounts¸ ports of call¸ and travel for the period
- An expansive monster construction kit¸ with new weird monsters and twists on old favorites from the Mythos¸ drawn from the works of Lovecraft¸ Robert E. Howard¸ M.R. James¸ William Hope Hodgson¸ Clark Ashton Smith¸ Algernon Blackwood¸ Lafcadio Hearn¸ among others
- Hundreds of pages of GM support and world building resources for developing adventures¸ enemies and organizations
- A global network of back-alley criminals¸ controlling gentry¸ avaricious smugglers and a campaign-spanning conspiracy known only as "The Glove¸" drawn from the pre-War era and tradition of Weird adventure
- Setting creation support - including a collection of organizations from the era¸ from intelligence agencies to detective bureaus and secret society lodges¸ as well as ideas for secret factions and cults within these organizations or as separate entities¸ NPC stats for warlords¸ criminals¸ soldiers¸ spies¸ thugs¸ beasts...all the added Kickstarter-backed NPCs and organizations...and more
- Faction rules¸ with a complete toolkit for developing your own factions
- Guidelines for facilitating node-based investigation¸ using Circles of Influence (derived from other systems)¸ Clue Webs and Scenario Nodes¸ Networking and Connections rules¸ and Organization Responses and Hierarchies
- A robust and extensive chapter on magic¸ sorcerers¸ occult works and artifacts from the world of 1910
- A simple yet robust sanity system integrated into the PC and NPC motives and bonds
- Options for "pulpier" occultists and occult detectives adventurers - akin to much of Lovecraft's original material and most of Howard's¸ and to the occult detectives in the works of various weird writers such as William Hope Hodgson¸ Arthur Machen¸ and so on - for players who want to incorporate pulpier magic into their mythos game
- New adventurer roles¸ drives¸ bonds¸ and special abilities for players that emulate the period and feel of Weird menace and adventure
- And much more: new skills¸ new gear¸ basic and tactical combat rules¸ chase rules¸ etc.
- Includes an OGL and bibliography of sources¸ with support for open-ended customization¸ enabling designers to adapt the game and hack their own settings and derived rules
As a bonus¸ you receive with your purchase "Dark Swamp¸" a 27-page introductory scenario plus an expanded toolkit for developing and using the artifacts¸ legends¸ minions and magic of Tsathoggua in your campaignAt over 500 pages¸ BW¸ Raiders of R'lyeh comes with a vast assortment of toolkits to build and run your own adventures set in the Mythos!
ABOUT THE PRINT EDITION: What is the difference between the Hardcover B&W Book and Hardcover Color Book (Standard Heavyweight)?
The "Hardcover B&W Books" are printed on 50# white paper¸ while the "Hardcover Color Book (Standard Heavyweight)" uses a thicker 70# white paper which has better page opacity. Please note that despite being listed as Color¸ both editions are in black & white. However¸ some customers notice a discernible difference in quality in the thicker edition¸ so that option is offered here.NOTE that the Gamemaster's Guide & Complete Rules print edition has an alternate "Fire of Asshurbanipal" cover (which may be previewed at raidersofrlyeh.com/design-journal-series).