Hunters of Alexandria
Hunters of Alexandria is a roleplaying game in an urban fantasy setting¸ but one set in the ancient rather than the modern world.
Players take on the role of members of a small monster hunting organisation¸ the Venatores¸ in the city of Alexandria¸ in the year 1AD. The Emperor Augustus rules Rome¸ and Alexandria has been under direct Roman rule for the last 30 years. Monsters¸ ghosts¸ sorcerers and things that go bump in the night all threaten the people of Alexandria.
In this 110 page A5 book we present complete rules for character generation and play¸ and details of this mythic and monstrous version of ancient Alexandria¸ including different factions at play in the city¸ the geography of Alexandria¸ supernatural beasts¸ scenario seeds and a complete introductory scenario.
The book is designed to be lightweight and easy to absorb. It is suitable for immediate sandbox play (with a full cast of supporting non-player characters detailed as well as the city itself) and also includes a full introductory scenario (Saviour Gods). It comes with four example characters so you can start running the game after reading.Hunters of Alexandria in a Nutshell
- The year is 1AD or 753AUC¸ 753 years after the foundation of Rome.
- Egypt has been under Roman rule for a generation¸ since Augustus the first Roman Emperor deposed the last of the Greek Pharaohs¸ Cleopatra. Alexandria is the capital.
- Alexandria is a big city¸ with nearly a million people (this is breathtakingly huge for the ancient world). It is highly cosmopolitan¸ with Romans¸ Greeks¸ Egyptians¸ Jews being the main peoples here.
- Monsters and magic are real. Monsters are similar to those from myths and legends¸ though not all the stories are literally true. Magic is subtle rather than flashy.
- Most people believe in monsters and magic¸ though they have seldom if ever witnessed either¸ and dismiss the majority of the stories as nonsense. They are correct in this¸ but do not realise the extent of the supernatural world.
- The main gods worshipped here are typically Egyptian (Isis being the main example)¸ a syncretic combination of Greek and Egyptian (the chief being Serapis)¸ or Roman. People are increasingly seeing the older gods as facets of the Roman gods¸ but the priesthoods of Serapis and Isis resist this idea.
- The Musaeum of Alexandria is a great source of scholarship¸ with a vast library¸ but isn’t what it was in pre-Roman times.
- You belong to an organisation known as the Venatores¸ meaning Hunters.
- Your job is to hunt down supernatural threats to the city.
The game uses the Fortune System¸ a light version of the Fate rules ¸ influenced by the Jadepunk RPG . It provides a straightforward approach to resolve tests and conflicts in historic fantasy settings.Pre-generated player characters
The game comes with four pre-generated player characters so you can pick up and play!Introductory Scenario – Saviour Gods
The Great Lighthouse of Alexandria is a shining beacon in the night¸ which guides sailors safely into port. It is also a highly magical place¸ thanks to rituals performed by its architect when it was built. It is a beacon of light that prevents the forces of darkness from invading from the sea. Miraculously¸ given all the violence of Julius Caesar’s arrival forty six years ago and Augustus’s subsequent toppling of the Ptolemaic Dynasty thirty years ago¸ the Tower has endured. Now a dark force within the city wants to see the tower destroyed¸ so that powerful masters may secretly avoid its revealing gaze and settle in the city.
Saviour Gods is an introductory scenario for Hunters of Alexandria. It is intended to give a firm grounding for both players and games masters in the setting and the rules.