Hippogryph Issue Zero
In This Issue:
- Welcome to Issue Zero - It's a game system! It's a zine about tabletop roleplaying! It's both! An introduction to the Hippogryph project¸ what to expect in this issue¸ and what you can look forward to in future issues.
- How to Create Things - From characters to magic items to worlds¸ a unified system for creating all of the elements that go into a tabletop roleplaying game. Make things for your campaign¸ or just build things for fun!
- How to Take Turns - Learn about the basic logistics of playing the game in this section. Who goes first¸ how scenes play out¸ and the fundamental ways that action and narration are balanced all get covered here.
- How to Do Things - From a familiar core mechanic to specific types of actions and how action points work¸ this section covers the rules. All other mechanics and systems stem from these basic principles.
- How to Develop Characters - How characters heal¸ gain rewards¸ and improve their abilities all gets covered here. Learn how to reset character goals¸ expand their background¸ and build relevant connections to the story and setting.
A hippogryph the poster child for two things that¸ by all logic¸ should not go together. Yet somehow¸ they merge into a new entity that not only works¸ but elevates both components. It's a strange hybrid creature¸ combining elements of a giant eagle with a horse. Various cultures over time have used the hippogryph as a symbol for everything from the perplexing nature of religious belief to the immeasurable power of romantic love. For me¸ it represents how the whole can be more than the mere sum of its parts. It's lofty yet grounded¸ poetic yet practical.
I named this project Hippogryph because it's full of such dichotomies. The hobby at its core is the melding of wargaming and storytelling. My strongest influences are both heavier legacy games like Dungeons & Dragons¸ and lighter¸ free-form systems like Fate Accelerated. My goal is to leverage the strengths of each element¸ use them to compensate for their collective flaws and drawbacks¸ and create something singular¸ entertaining¸ and useful.