Hippogryph Gamemaster Guide
A manual for running a fantasy tabletop roleplaying game using the Hippogryph System.
As the gamemaster¸ you are the prime mover behind any Hippogryph game. You create and shape the setting that the characters inhabit¸ and prepare and run the adventures they'll go on. It's your role to tell the story¸ play the supporting characters¸ and manage the dynamics of the group. To do this¸ you have to knowing what your players want from a Hippogryph experience. It's a big job¸ but an incredibly rewarding one.
The Hippogryph Gamemaster Guide assumes that you already have a copy of the core rules and know how the Hippogryph System works. You don't need to be an expert¸ or have every single mechanic and guideline committed to memory. All you need is a firm grasp of the fundamentals¸ so you can make fair rulings¸ teach new players how things work¸ and keep a game session flowing smoothly.
Just as I wrote Hippogryph to be the character-driven fantasy roleplaying system I always wanted¸ this is the book I wish I'd had when I began my journey as a gamemaster. It's filled with tips and tricks drawn from years of experience. Whether you've been running a game using the Hippogryph System for a while or are preparing to do so for the first time¸ this book was written for you.
The Hippogryph Gamemaster Guide includes the following chapters:
- An overview of the gamemaster's role¸ with an explanation of the many jobs you will take on.
- What materials¸ both required and optional¸ you'll need in order to run a game.
- A guide to identifying different types of players and what they're looking to get from a game.
- How to prepare for adventures¸ game sessions¸ and campaigns.
- What Session Zero is¸ why it's important¸ and how to successful run one for your group.
- Advice on how to run a game session from start to finish¸ based on decades of experience.
- How to create all types of factions¸ for use as allies and adversaries in your game.
- New rules on allowing the player characters to change the world based on the outcomes of their adventures.
- How to let yourself be human¸ dealing with inevitable mistakes¸ and managing player issues.